Friday, September 24, 2010

No Yawning

The thing about when your friends start having babies is you can never again complain to those friends about how tired you are. Like ever.

As I mentioned, we have some of our best friends in the world in town and the last couple of nights we've been hanging out with them and their two itty-bitty kids. Tiffany and I had a long week. We had friends in town last weekend and I had a business trip for work and got up one day at 3:45 a.m. to catch a flight and Tiffany gets up almost that early practically every day and...

None of that matters. Because Teresa and Bobby also got up super early to catch a plane the same day I did... only they did it with a three-year-old and a five-month-old just like they have to do everything with a three-year-old and a five-month-old until those children become... well, basically forever.

When you don't have children, you can't yawn in front of friends that do. It's like lamenting the fact that a cute guy or girl you met at a bar hasn't called to someone in the middle of a divorce. In other words: totally disproportionate.

I caught Tiffany yawning in the kitchen last night while Teresa was helping their daughter Julia make a better choice about having another rainbow-colored goldfish cheese cracker or not having one so she would be hungry for her dinner and Bobby was pacing the living room with their son Peter trying to soothe him to sleep.

"Suck it up," I hissed at Tiffany as I handed her a plate while simultaneously stifling a yawn of my own.

"You suck it up," she hissed back.

"Who wants more goldfish?" we called into the living room.

Tonight Tiffany and I tucked ourselves into bed early to get ready for our day of babysitting the wee-est one.

"Hey," I said as we were brushing our teeth, "maybe we can take a nap with Peter tomorrow."

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, you reminded me of a related rule, "don't come home from a business trip and tell your wife taking care of small children how tough it is to travel. When jennifer was about 3 and Christine was just a few months, I came home from a business trip and was beat. Mary Jane met me at the door, handed me Christine and headed up the stairs without a word. At that time Christine hadn't slept all the way through the night even once, and Mary Jane was out of gas. So I sucked it up (like you told Tiffany to do) and took on the challenge. The really great twist was that Christine slept through the night that night for the first time. Mary Jane could have killed her and me. Proving one of my favorite axioms, "It's better to be lucky than talented." Thanks for the memories. Have a good one girls, Dave H

    ReplyDelete