Thursday, October 14, 2010

Ode to John Hannon

I don't normally take blog requests--or succumb to friends who are whining about the fact that I haven't blogged about them (actually, there is only one such friend... read on). But my friend John Hannon is mad at me because I haven't blogged about him yet. He's writing mean things on my Facebook page, which I shamelessly use to promote this free blog. I can't have bad publicity, so I'm going to tell you about my first John Hannon experience.

When I was trying to figure out where to go to college, I had pretty much made up my mind to go one place when I decided to take a soccer recruiting trip to Boston University. That weekend, the fall of my senior year in high school, I fell in love with the city. I loved the "T" and I loved that the Red Sox game was playing on a big screen at Faneuil Hall and I loved... that there was a place that delivered frozen yogurt.

This is where John Hannon comes in. See, I met all the girls on the team that weekend... and I met John, the boyfriend of one of the junior defenders, Meg. I was assigned to stay with one of Meg's best friends, Deidre, and on my second night, John Hannon decided my recruiting trip would not be complete without a frozen yogurt delivered from Angora Cafe near the campus.

I had never had Angora yogurt delivered, of course. I don't think Kansas, where I grew up, has yogurt delivery, period. In fact, except for TCBY, I'd never really had frozen yogurt. I was an ice cream girl.

Anyway, John Hannon pulled out the menu with the list of possible toppings and mix-ins for the yogurt. I didn't know what to get, but if I had, it wouldn't have mattered. John ordered for me. He ordered me his favorite: Oreo cookie and York Peppermint Pattie. I loved it.

Either that night or the night before John also made apple tarts, one of his early culinary adventures (he has since gone to culinary school, so he's way beyond tarts now), with fresh apples that he and some of the girls on the team had recently picked themselves. I'd never been apple picking.

So if we follow this logic: John Hannon introduced me to Oreo and York frozen yogurt (delivery!) and fed me tarts made of fresh-picked apples and, therefore, is one gigantic (he's over 6 feet tall) reason I went to Boston. If I hadn't gone to Boston, I'd never have met Tiffany, and you wouldn't be reading this blog. Or you might be, but, it would be whilemygirlfrienddoesdataentry or whilemygirlfriendwritesadcopy or something like that. You get my drift. I'm in love with Tiffany and John helped me find her!

So I guess Tiffany and I owe our relationship to John Hannon.

Or to that freakin' awesome yogurt.

*Please note, John Hannon and his wife Meg are great friends of ours. We haven't seen them since I started this blog or since they had their baby girl Lily and John is just mad because I haven't written about Lily's poop. But when I see her I promise to write about that or something better.

2 comments: