Friday, December 16, 2011

Winning Hearts and Minds

Because Tiffany and I live very far away from our best friends, we have to make a serious effort to carve out a place in their children's hearts.

We've exhausted ourselves trying to squeeze in visits between family events, and we're not above sending pictures so the parents can point to us every so often on the refrigerator and say:

"And these are our VERY best friends, Tiffany and Rebecca. They love you very much, and you love them more than any other aunties."

Tiffany and I want to be the best aunties, ever. But, between us, I want to be most best.

When we finally saw Lily, the daughter of our friends Meg and John, we didn't have time to stop and get gifts, so we offered what we had. Much to my disappointment, she had no interest whatsoever in my flip phone, sunglasses or wallet and instead played with Tiffany's iPhone in delight.

Point, Tiffany.

Last weekend, we made a quick trip to New York to see some family and friends. Because of our work schedules, we arrived at different times. Tiffany got in Thursday; I landed Saturday morning. This meant Tiffany had extra time with Julia and Peter, the daughter and son of our friends Teresa and Bobby. But--because Tiffany packs way more clothes than I do, plus a hair straightener and dryer--only I had room for the Christmas presents.

On Saturday, Tiffany--who was spending time with her friends from high school--called bright and early:

"Did you give them their presents?" she asked, panic rising in her voice.

"No!" I said. "Without you? I would never!"

I almost did, actually. But I decided against cheating to curry favor. This did not stop me from gloating and sending a picture via text when Peter held my hand just an hour or so after I arrived. Apparently, he hadn't made eye contact with Tiffany until the end of her first day.

Point, me.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, Molly is in the lead for Lily's affection. Plus she has an actual blood-relation lesbian aunt, so it's an uphill battle for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. stiff competition!!! love you, brandon

    ReplyDelete