Monday, March 12, 2012

Mix Tape

Tiffany and I were organizing our apartment recently (I know big surprise, right?) and came across a stack of cassette tapes. Yanni (mine, but more on that later), some cycling compilations someone made Tiffany years ago (hers, obviously), and a mix tape labeled "Chill Mix" (mine, made for me by Tiffany when we were in college).

We still have a cassette player in our car, so the next time we drove somewhere (Yay, Target!) I popped the tape in. Immediately we were taken back to the time before either of us was out of the closet, when we were still quietly admiring each other without saying so. Almost all the songs were romantic. Or depressing. Or, worse, both.

The funny thing is, Tiffany and I aren't old. What I mean by that is, by the time we were in college, CDs were on the market. And had been for a long time. Like, years. So we spent the first several songs and miles making fun of Tiffany for having made me a cassette tape.

"I don't even know how I made a cassette tape," Tiffany said, furrowing her brow. "I mean, I don't remember how you do that? Where would I have done it?"

I shrieked with laughter.

"Why were you even making a cassette tape to begin with?" I yelped. "That's hysterical!"

Then I paused. I remembered why.

"Oh," I said. "I know."

"Why?"

"Because I still had a Walkman. To play Yanni."

No comments:

Post a Comment