Monday, April 9, 2012

The Easter Bunny Lives!

Tiffany and I didn't do anything for Easter this year.

It's really a family holiday, after all, and we were by ourselves. Last year, Tiffany's mom was in town visiting. We woke up to a candy and coin trail and had to hunt for our baskets, which contained copious amounts of junk food (Patty knows the way to my heart... chocolate bunnies).

Anyway, this year, our only family connections were made through a round of phone calls. Patty in particular was horrified that we hadn't Easter-ed it up.

"What did you get in your basket?" she asked Tiffany.

"I didn't get a basket," Tiffany pouted. "My easter bunny sucks."

I glared at her.

"What did Rebecca get?" Patty asked.

"She didn't get a basket either. Her bunny is just as bad as mine."

"Wait," I whispered, scurrying into the kitchen. I stood on my tiptoes to reach into our top cabinet, underneath the extra turkey pans we'd bought when we made our practice and real Thanksgiving turkeys. I dashed back to the living room, waving the Easter egg dye kit I'd bought the year before for Patty.

"Oh, the Easter bunny did come," Tiffany laughed. "He brought year-old egg dye!"

To celebrate Easter, Tiffany and I went for a trail run. As we came huffing back down the hill to our car, Tiffany stopped in her tracks and pointed.

A gigantic hare was sitting on its haunches a few yards ahead of us. He twitched his ears in our direction.

"I guess it's Easter after all," Tiffany whispered.

And it really did feel that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment