Sunday, January 13, 2013

Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep... Carefully


Tiffany and I lucked out with our new apartment. It's in a great neighborhood; it's got lots of great light. Oh yeah, and it's two stories.

Technically, the second story is our bed, but, because we have a set of stairs (attached to a ladder though they may be), I think that counts.

Back when we were looking for places, we got so competitive with our competition--other potential tenants--that we started carrying around blank checks and entire credit reports in order to be prepared if we wanted to put in an application.

When we saw this apartment, a middle-aged woman was seeing it at the same time. I was ready to hip-check her out the door while we applied, but she took one look at the ladder in the bedroom and spun on her heel.

"Oh no," she said, throwing up her hands. "I'm too old for this. It's all yours, girls."

(It's a good thing Tiffany and I don't look as old as we are.)

We could have put our bed underneath the loft space like the old tenants did, but having it upstairs means we get to have a second bedroom/office underneath. And when I say second bedroom/office, I mean a space big enough for our dresser, a desk, and a twin air mattress for whoever doesn't fit on our couch in the living room. But this is way more space than we've had in the past. So be it if we sleep floating in the air on a piece of plywood.

Anyway, so far it's working out. I've only hit my head once, sitting up too far, too fast. And the loft reminds us how much we love each other. Or maybe it's how much we'd rather not have to go to the emergency room.

Every time one of us gets out of bed in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, the other whispers:

"Be careful."

1 comment:

  1. Sucha a cute story Rebequita. I love your place. It is so cozy and beautiful, but then I think it is so because who lives in there.

    ReplyDelete