Saturday, October 5, 2013

Bad Hair Day


I recently got my latest bad haircut.

"Oh!" Tiffany said when she saw me. "You cut your hair! It looks..."

"I hate it," I said, preempting her lie.

"I still love you."

You might not think someone could be bad at hair, but I am. I'm not talking about other people's hair although I must admit I'm bad at that too. I'm notoriously bad at my hair. After nearly 32 years, I haven't the faintest idea of what to do with the stuff on top of my own head. This is especially egregious since, because I prefer my hair chin length, I cut my hair quite often. I should be a hair genius.

There are multiple factors at play. First off, I don't do anything to my hair. Second, I don't know what should be done to my hair. Finally, and perhaps most crucially, I don't have a hairdresser I love to do my hair. I almost walked into a salon the other day because I like the fact that the owner's dog lies outside the entrance.

"Forget the dog--what does the owner's hair look like?" Tiffany asked me when I told her my idea.

I tried somewhere else.

The truth is, most of the time it's a moot point. I usually wear my hair up in a bun-for-people-who-are-bad-at-hair (make a ponytail and don't pull your hair all the way through). So when it's time for a haircut, I convince myself that it doesn't matter where I go since I don't care that much about my hair. That works out fine until I see the final result and get home to Tiffany who says:

"Oh! You cut your hair! It looks..."

"I hate it."

"I still love you."

2 comments:

  1. Rebequita, I have never seen you with a bad hair cut. You always look beautiful. So many people would love to have your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a hair image problem of your own making. You are beautiful. Just deal with it! I thought your mother and I instilled a better sense of self hair worth than that....

    ReplyDelete