Friday, May 6, 2011

Stuck in the Middle With You (Or Not)

It was so gorgeous here the other night that when Tiffany and I got home from work we decided to go for a walk to enjoy the long-lingering sunshine. And then we promptly got in a fight about how to use my dwindling supply of vacation days. It was sad, really, to waste such a beautiful evening on such a small (literally) and pleasant issue, but what could we do? Sometimes we fight.

I decided to stand my ground on principle AND to make a symbolic display of that stand by only meeting Tiffany half-way across the space that opened up between us at the apex of our argument.

Unfortunately, the space between us was an intersection.

I boldly stepped across to the half-way point.

"I'm only going this far!" I called to Tiffany on the other side of the street.

She didn't hear me over the roar of oncoming traffic.

I looked nervously to my right and left to see the approaching cars.

"I'm only going this far!?" I repeated, nervously.

Tiffany turned to look at me. She was smiling.

That was all I needed. With a little wave of apology to the waiting cars, I scuttled the rest of the way to her.

Sometimes it's good to stand your ground.

And sometimes it's better to give it right up and cross the street.

1 comment:

  1. Did I understood this right? Did you stopped in the middle of the street ? In San Francisco, with all those crazy taxi drivers? Are you nuts Rebequita? Please next time stand your ground but please not in the middle of the street.

    ReplyDelete