Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Wheels on the Bike Go (As Fast As I Can Make Them Go)

I bought a bike. Actually, Tiffany bought me a bike. A used road bike, with those clip-on pedals so that I can push and pull and be faster.

I'm very excited about how fast I can get places on my bike. But even if I wasn't, I had no choice in the matter of getting it. First off, it was my birthday gift from Tiffany two birthdays ago. The lag time between the birthday and the gift is my fault not hers. I had to get over my fear of getting run over in traffic.

Anyway, the second reason I had no choice in the matter of the bike is that, if I don't get the bike, I'm likely to never see Tiffany. That's because she has a road bike, and she wants to start riding it actual long distances to train for triathlons and such. We know this couple--the husband does Ironman triathlons, and he's gone so much on long rides that his wife basically only sees him at transition points of aforementioned triathlons.

I can just see it:

"Hi Tiffany! Here's your helmet! Love you!"

"Hi Tiffany! Here are your running shoes! Love you!"

I'm sorry, but I need more face time than that. So I see the bike as an investment in our future together. I bike therefore I see my girlfriend. Now, it may be that all I see of my girlfriend is her cute little butt pedaling away from me since Tiffany is infinitely faster than I am (at least for now--I'm only just learning how to clip in and out of my new pedals).

But at least that's seeing something.

1 comment:

  1. REbequita therwe is a saying in Spanish "despacio se va lejos" and that is just what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete