Friday, August 19, 2011

GPS-lessness

As has been discussed here before, I have almost no sense of direction.

On Sunday, I drove with my mom from Wichita Falls to Austin. We were the lead car in a three-car caravan and pulled into a Dairy Queen for lunch (if you've never been to a middle-of-nowhere Texas town's Dairy Queen, you really should find one and go--it's like the place to be on a Sunday afternoon. Plus, who doesn't love dip cones?). When we pulled out, I turned right and gunned it (I had a plane to catch!).

"Where are you going?" my mom asked.

"To Austin," I said.

"Well, we're headed back to Wichita Falls right now."

So I screeched off the road and made a U-turn in the vacant lot next to the Dairy Queen, waving to the rest of our caravan who, of course, had not followed me initially.

But my GPS-lessness is not limited to motor vehicles. I can do the same thing on my own two feet.

Last month, Tiffany and I were flying somewhere (I don't even remember where--that's what happens when you have to fly to see anyone with the same genetic makeup as you) and, as we walked from one gate to the other on our layover, we stopped for Tiffany to go to the bathroom. I stayed outside with our bags and when she came out we set off again--in opposite directions.

"Where are you going?" Tiffany asked.

"To our gate," I said.

"We just came from there, Rebecca. Seriously, you didn't even move--what were you doing out here, spinning in circles?"

No comments:

Post a Comment