Monday, August 29, 2011

A Romantic Comedy

I had the apartment all to myself this weekend. A little bachelorette with nothing but time.

When I got home from work on Thursday, the day Tiffany left to spend a long weekend with her Dad, she'd left me little notes in every room. My favorite was the purple post-it on the TV:

"No fun things. Only boring TV. I love you."

Once not long after Tiffany and I started dating, I cheated on her by watching a movie she wanted to see. I went home for the weekend and my mom and I saw it by ourselves. I felt guilty from previews to credits but still managed to enjoy my popcorn and coke. Tiffany has never let me forget that betrayal, despite my promise to see the movie again with her (which we finally did a few months ago--six years after I first saw it).

Sometimes we update our Netflix queue and, if I say we've already seen something and Tiffany doesn't remember, I hear:

"Oh, you must have seen that one without me, too."

"No," I explain. "We saw that one together in Los Angeles. Remember, we rented it the night we came back from that bar where we saw the guy from 'Entourage'?"

"Humph."

Tiffany has selective memory.

Anyway, I didn't even touch our latest Netflix movie this weekend. I know better than that. Instead, I watched one and one-quarter of two Ryan Reynolds movies back-to-back. Technically, I knew I was on safe ground because Tiffany and I had seen them both already, but, because they fall under Tiffany's favorite all time genre (romantic comedy), I prepared for jealousy. When Tiffany called and asked what I was doing, I told her:

"Watching 'The Proposal' on TV and eating an ice cream sandwich."

"Awwwww, without me? I love that movie!"

"I know, but you've seen it. We saw it together in the theater!"

"So! How could you? Romantic comedies are my favorite! I go away and you watch one without me!?"

"What did you think, I was going to watch C-SPAN all weekend?"

"That would have been perfect!"

I swear.

1 comment:

  1. Rebequita, just tell Tiffany that you already forgot what you watch, then you can wa
    tch it again. I did that many many times, and I really forgot what the movie was about!

    ReplyDelete