Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Little Bit Country...

I went looking for an outfit for my brother's rehearsal dinner one night last week. By myself. I'm a weak shopper, so this was brave of me.

In a stroke of rare luck, I found exactly what I wanted on a mannequin. I stopped in front of it and stared while shoppers pushed past and around me.

"Can I help you?" a salesman in a pair of skinny black jeans asked me.

"I need something a little bit country," I told him. "This is perfect."

He clapped his hands excitedly.

"Ooooh! Halloween!"

"No," I corrected, "my brother's wedding. In Texas."

He whisked me away to a dressing room, promising me the mannequin's ensemble--a flannel western-style shirt dress with a belt around the middle--as well as "some other fun stuff to try."

He brought me back a sleeveless denim dress that poofed out at the bottom.

"This is so chic," he said. "And it's marked down from $300..."

My eyes widened.

"Chic is not really the word for me," I said politely, pointing to my sneakers.*

"Just try it!

"Fine," I grumbled.

A couple of minutes later, I opened the dressing room and waved him over.

"See," I hissed. "Un-chic."

"I see," he said solemnly.

He handed me the mannequin outfit. With the boots I had at home, I thought it would be perfect.

I told him so.

"Fabulous!" he said, "With some great makeup..."

"I only really know how to do mascara."

His face fell.

"With some great jewelry..." he tried again.

"Yes!" I agreed. "Jewelry I can do.

We high-fived and both went home happy.

*Chic is totally not the word for me. In fact, when writing this post, I first wrote "sheek." It didn't look right, so I looked it up and one of the online definitions said "if you spell 'chic' this way, you most likely have no clue what 'chic' means..." Truer words were never written.

No comments:

Post a Comment