Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Notebook (lesbian-wedding edition)


The first time Tiffany and I had a moment to think about our wedding after we got engaged came high up in the air on a plane, somewhere between New York and Miami. Everything about the ring on her finger was still new. That day, we took pictures of her left hand holding a coffee cup at breakfast, a beer bottle at the bar, and a pencil while she studied. We tried to obscure the rubber band she had to wrap around the ring to make it fit (the ring I "borrowed" from Tiffany to use as a model was not one she wore on her ring finger. Apparently it was a thumb-ring for a giant).

Anyway, even though for years getting engaged felt like the Big Thing, now the Big Thing is the Wedding, and we have to plan one. We brought a notebook on our Christmas holiday to jot down our ideas, in case we had any.

"So should we talk about the wedding?" Tiffany asked shortly after take-off.

"Sure, I was thinking..."

"WAIT!"

I looked at her, startled.

"Maybe we should write this down in the notebook. Should we get the notebook? I think we should get the notebook. Can you get the notebook?"

I got the notebook.

Now that we're a little further down the line in our wedding planning (translation: we've planned NOTHING but have talked an awful lot about many things), I've come to appreciate the Notebook. As far as I can tell, it's mainly helpful in that it allows us to cross out what we've written down after we realize how incredibly affordable our ideas are for multimillionaires.

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, You probably don't know me but I went to SMNW and my husband is friends with Brandon. Also, my best friend Katie dated Brandon in high school and my mom works in the athletic department at NW. Brandon recently posted a link to your blog on Facebook and I've become mildly obsessed. Over the last couple of weeks in my spare time I have succeeded in reading every single one of your posts from start to finish. As of today, I am all caught up! I want you to know that this doesn't mean I'm weird it just means you are a terrific writer and so very entertaining. You should definitely write a book! And I think Tiffany's mom should write the Forward in your book because her comments are awesome. Best of luck to you and congratulations on your engagement!

    ReplyDelete