Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Donut Money

I knew as soon as we stepped onto the train that we'd picked the wrong car. There was a woman standing in the middle of the aisle and she was bundled up in ten or twenty coats and her skin was like leather and her eyes were black dots, hating. As soon as the doors closed, she began screaming at the top of her lungs. Something about JFK and then:

"You can take your donut money and shove it up your..."

"Did that woman just say donut money?" I whispered to Tiffany.

"Yes," Tiffany whispered back. "Yes, definitely donuts."

I've never had specific donut money. I've had laundry money and lunch money and fun money, which my mom sometimes slips into a card that she mails me with a little note, like: "Get your hair done!" or "Go to the movies!" or "Buy an ice-cream!"

But never donut money, although I do love donuts. I tried not to make eye contact with the woman, but the further I turned my eyes from her face, the closer she got to me physically.

"I don't want your donut money!" she spat.

I changed tactics, trying to express my understanding of her position with a slight nod of my head. Who would want my donut money, if I had any?

She turned away from me suddenly.

"F*#$ you and you!" she screamed, wheeling around in a circle. "I know who killed JFK! F*#$ you!"

"Did she just say..."

"Yes," Tiffany hissed. "Shhh."

Suddenly another passenger began to sing, right at the angry screaming woman.

"Oh god," I whispered.

"F*#$..."

"HALLELUJAH..."

"JFK..."

"PRAISE JESUS..."

"DONUT MONEY..."

"LORD LIFT ME UP..."

But then the lord did something better. He let Tiffany and I out at the next stop.

1 comment:

  1. I would have love to see your expression! I am glad it was not me in the train!

    ReplyDelete