Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Orange Door Is No More


I wish Tiffany and I were the kind of people who had the time or talent to turn an orange door into a piece of art. Or the kind of people who had an apartment big enough to display such a piece of art. But we're not. Maybe someday.

Anyway, shortly after Tiffany dragged the orange door up to our apartment, we put it outside on our patio until we could "do something with it." But instead it just sat there. Through rain. And snow. And more rain and snow. We made one half-hearted attempt to peel away the layers of paint and then we made a judgment call. We decided the door had to go. We needed space for flower pots. 

"It's kind of sad," I said, as Tiffany leaned the door up against a tree outside our building.

"Yeah," Tiffany agreed.

"Such a great keyhole."

We stood for a few seconds, and then we turned and went back upstairs.

A few days later, we were on our way to dinner. We passed a woman and a man walking together. I noticed the woman was staring intently at something. I turned and saw the orange door leaning up against a wall on someone else's patio.

"Hey," the woman said to her companion. "That's my mom's door."

She took a picture with her phone.

Tiffany and I smiled at each other.

The next night, someone put four flower pots out on the curb. 

We took them home.

1 comment: