Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Dignity


The cab driver gestured to the back of his SUV.

"Yeah, I think you're right," I said. "It fits."


He shook his head. We weren't really speaking the same language.


He began gesturing again, pointing at me, then the back of his SUV.


"Ahhh," I said. "Oh, you want me to sit back here...with that?"


I waved my hand at the desk we'd just purchased and crammed into the back-back of his car, eliminating his actual back seats.


He nodded vigorously.


As a kid, I loved riding in the back-back of our Jeep. It felt like an adventure, even if we were just going to the grocery store. 


But, at 31, I have standards. And dignity to maintain. You know, the kind of dignity you maintain while standing on Broadway trying to hail a cab with an Ikea desk you bought from a girl who just graduated from college.


I looked at Tiffany. She shrugged and headed toward the front seat.


I crawled into the back-back underneath our desk.


"Yes, ma'm," the cabbie said, pleased.


Crossing Manhattan takes a long time on a Friday night. Twisted up between the legs of our desk, I caught up on lots of emails and posted a status update on Facebook. I even texted Tiffany, concerned at the hardship she was facing up there in an actual seat, with air conditioning.


"Look in your rear view mirror," I typed.


"What am I supposed to be seeing?" she answered.


"My hand!" I responded. I was waving my hand like a maniac through the crack between our desk drawer and the right rear door, trying to catch her eye.


"Can't see anything," she wrote. "Tinted windows."


I sighed and turned around to find the man in the car behind me staring through our rear windshield, which was not, like all the other windows in our cab, tinted.


I gave him a little wave. 


Dignity be damned.


No comments:

Post a Comment