Wednesday, July 3, 2013

If It Isn't Heaven, It's...

Tiffany and I are pretty good in a car (see the posts on our epic cross-country move here).

But we disagree on the rules of a roadtrip. Specifically, she feels that the passenger should never be allowed to sleep, under any circumstances, while the car is in motion. I disagree. The advantages of having two drivers include having the chance to take a nap when you are not driving, which I did on a recent Sunday when we drove back from New Hampshire.

"Are you sleeping?" Tiffany cried.

"Huh?" I asked, jumping in my seat.

"I was waving my hand in front of your face, and you didn't even flinch!"

"Yes, I was sleeping! That's what you get to do when you're not driving. As the driver, you get to control the radio."

She was not persuaded.

"Let's play a game," she chirped.

But, soon after we began 20 Questions, playing a game became troublesome too.

"I'm thinking of a person..." I started.

"Is the person famous?"

"No."

"Then what's the point of picking this person?" she complained.

During her turn, she thought of a place.

"Is it in the United States?" I asked.

"No," she answered.

"Is it in another country?"

"No."

"Impossible," I said, then: "Is it in Outer Space?"

"No."

"What?? What kind of a place... wait, a minute... have I been there?"

"You may get there eventually," she said.

I narrowed my eyes.

"Is it heaven?"

She shook her head, smiling.

Hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment