Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Fair

Nearly every July since I was four, my family heads to Mississippi, where we lived for several years, for the week-long Neshoba County Fair, otherwise known as Mississippi's Giant Houseparty. No, seriously, that's what they call it (and that's exactly what it is).

When July rolls around on the years we can get there, it's hard to know who's more offended as Tiffany and I prepare to make the trip: our San Francisco friends who can't believe we're paying to go to Mississippi where they think everyone is a pot-bellied hick or our Mississippi friends who can't believe we still live in San Francisco where they assume everyone is a pot-smoking hippie (okay, the Mississippians have a point here...).

These stereotypes run deep. The first time Tiffany and I took a road trip through the south, about a year after we'd started dating, my dad worried for our safety.

"Just be careful," he started as we talked one day over a couple of burgers. "Don't... well... don't act gay."

But Tiffany and I made the trip just fine. We acted the way we always act and only had one scare when we blew a tire on a long stretch of highway somewhere in Alabama. We inched our way to a nearby off ramp and a deserted looking gas station and held our breath when two men in an 18-wheeler pulled up behind our car with its equal rights sticker on the back windshield. Guess what those two men did:

Helped us change our tire.

Similarly, the first time I took Tiffany to the Fair, some members of my family fretted. But the Fair is one of my all time favorite places; it has most of my all time favorite people and many of my all time favorite foods. It's a place where the biggest decision you make is which drink to pour into your plastic cup when you walk down to watch the horses at the red dirt race track. Or whether to wait until after supper to have your first slice of caramel cake. Or where to hide your slice of caramel cake if you want it to still be around after supper to eat.

I couldn't imagine not sharing all that with Tiffany. Still, before we went, I told her everything she needed to know: all about how my Fair friends and I used to ride the Tilt-a-Whirl until we were sick, all about Lindsey's Lemonade and the fried dill pickles and chicken-on-a-stick at Penn's, all about the cabin's iffy plumbing (cross your fingers, close your eyes, and flush. Also, have a plunger handy.).

When we got there, we held hands walking around the red dirt track at night like every other couple and when I introduced her to my Fair friends, guess what they said?

"Nice to meet you."

5 comments:

  1. Rebecca, you amaze me. I've lived in the Bay Area before, and I live in Ridgeland, MS now. You're both more brave than I am. While I am not gay per se (I'm straight but not narrow), I do not fall neatly into the fold here -religiously/spiritually (I'm Buddhist), politically (need I say more), environmentally (I don't hunt), socially (I'm not racist--blatant or the insidious "polite" kind of racism that exists here and passes for conservatism; I also advocate for gay, lesbian, and transgender rights), and I find it a bit of a challenge being here at times. Your account of walking the Neshoba County Fair was...well, refreshing sistah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Frank! I thought Tiffany and I had an experience worth sharing. Hopefully others do too! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebequita, I love this story!

    ReplyDelete