Friday, July 16, 2010

A Hammock


Tiffany reminded me of something else on our Someday List, one of my desirables--a hammock. My family had a hammock when I was growing up. It hung between two trees in our backyard in Shawnee, Kansas. It was thick and ropy so it kind of hurt your back, but, when you're lying in a hammock listening to the wind push the leaves around, who can complain? It was nice. We had the hammock in Mississippi, too, when my brother and I were smaller and used to flip each other around on it. We were so light that we could hang on upside down like spider-people. Anyway. The first time I contemplated buying a hammock was when my mom and I were traveling in El Salvador five years ago. I saw them in people's homes and then I saw them for sale at little markets. I didn't buy one, though. I didn't have any place to hang it. The second time I considered buying a hammock was last month when Tiffany and I were traveling in Vietnam. They were everywhere in the markets, silky and all different colors. Each time we passed them I stopped. They were like $3. But I couldn't bring myself to buy one. I still don't have any place to hang it. And even though I could have stuffed it in my bag, carried it home and tucked it away in a closet until I do have two trees, it felt like cheating. Someday we'll have two trees. Until then, no hammock. You'll see I'm trying my first picture above... that's my feet and Tiffany's feet in a hammock five years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment