Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Rhythm... I Still Don't Have It (and I Still Can't Spell it... No, Really, I Had to Look it Up)

Each Monday night I have to confront a particular demon of mine: music class. On Mondays I volunteer at a shelter and play with the kids who are living there. When I signed up nearly two years ago, the woman said "Oh great, you'll be here for music night!" She explained that on Mondays a music teacher comes in to teach the kids rhythm games and lead sing-alongs. The volunteers are expected to participate fully. After all, what child wants a mute adult looming over their rhythm circle. My heart stopped. My mind flashed back to all those Mon/Wed/Fri in elementary school when our class would traipse down to the music room for exactly this type of thing. I was horrible in music class. Its only value to me was that it was immediately before gym, a class where I was far more sure of my abilities. I could toss a dodge ball, no problem. Run a mile? Sign me up! But put me in a circle and ask me to keep a beat while passing plastic cups left and right, dear god. Something shattered inside--my self-confidence.

Anyways. Apparently that fear never goes away. I'm 28 now, and still the sight of a circle of small children clapping their hands and looking expectantly at me to clap my hands in the same way, is frightening. Oh, I laugh my clumsiness off, but my palms still sweat.

What's worse, the other volunteers on music night don't seem to have the same problem I have. So while those 20-somethings and 30-somethings are clapping right along, even tossing in a variation of their own in between beats, I methodically count the rhythm in my head, trying not to move my lips from my isn't-this-fun smile.

But actually, it is fun. Ridiculously fun. Because, while I still perform abominably in music class, I know I'm not being graded for my performance. Even better, neither are these kids. So I can act silly and make faces at them and tell them how much better they are than me and sing off-key the bizarre lyrics we ask children to sing in such classes. It doesn't matter one bit if I have rhythm. It only matters that we forget where we are, and that's easy to do when you're dancing while singing, at the top of your lungs, a song like this:

Grandma, grandma, sick in bed,
Went to the doctor and the doctor said,
Grandma, grandma, you ain't sick,
All you need is a peppermint stick!

Hands up, shake, shake, shake, shake,
Hands down, shake, shake, shake, shake,
Turn around, shake, shake, shake, shake,
Get out of town, shake, shake, shake, shake
(Repeat)

4 comments:

  1. Rebecca,
    I love your BLOG! it's pretty hilarious.
    xo
    Gladys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather (best CAP singer/dancer ever)July 20, 2010 at 7:17 PM

    MY FAVE SONG!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo -
    Lindsay and I are sipping wine and laughing our a__'s off reading your stories!
    You're a phenom writer and person!!
    Lindsay says an "inspiration".
    We love your words keep it up!
    Love You,
    B and LOML

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! This is awesome, Rebecca! Did I tell you you're one of my favorite volunteers?! But sssh, don't tell the other volunteers:) You have been such an amazing person to have in CAP. Clint and I can always rely on you! We always talk about you everytime we need extra support with the kids because we know how awesome you are. I love your enthusiasm during Music Night and as uncomfortable as it makes you, the effect you have on the kids is undescribable! You bring so much warmth and happiness when you come to CAP! Thank you for all your support the past few years! You have made my job easier and super fun (I hate Music Night too, haha!) I'm going to miss you! You're amazing, Rebecca!

    Hands up, shake, shake, shake, shake!

    -Tiffany

    ReplyDelete