Wednesday, July 14, 2010

While My Girlfriend Studies Chemistry

This is how much I love my girlfriend: I make a 15-minute walk home from work an 11-minute walk. I walk at a ridiculously fast pace so that I can see her sooner than I would if I walked at a regular pace. Sometimes, if she's still at work, I drop my bag, change my clothes, turn around and walk back out the door to meet her at her work so we can walk home together. If double-walking home isn't love, I don't know what is. When Tiffany and I are together, we like to be together. That is an amazing and beautiful thing and don't think I don't know it (I am, after all, the one speed-walking around with a gigantic grin on my face).

But here's what loving someone so much can do--it can steal time away from other things you love. One of the other things I love is writing. I don't write for fun as much as I used to for two reasons. First, I write for a living, so when I turn off my computer at work, very often the last thing I want to do is turn on another computer at home. Second, when Tiffany and I are together... well, you remember.

Here's my idea: for the last two years, Tiffany has been taking classes and studying as she considers further education in the fields she loves: nutrition and fitness. I often fill the time she studies with things we need to get done (like grocery shopping or laundry) or things I want to do (like reading in the park or going for a run). ButI figure if she has the discipline to study from a textbook in pursuit of her passion, I should have the discipline to sit down and type out a story or two in pursuit of my own.

So I will write While My Girlfriend Studies Chemistry (which happens to be what she is studying now).

No comments:

Post a Comment