Sunday, January 2, 2011

How (Not) to Fry An Egg


It takes a certain courage to flip an egg. At least, if you're me it does.

I made eggs and bacon this morning and, as usual, messed my eggs up. First of all, when I crack an egg into a hot skillet I can never make the white stay where it's supposed to. And then when I usher the white back around the yellow, I inevitably break the yellow. To top it off, I'm terrified of the flip, sliding my spatula hesitantly around the imperfect circle until, finally--more terrified now that my egg will burn--I inexpertly turn my wrist sending the egg in a sort of somersault onto itself. What I end up with, a few minutes later, is an ugly egg-over-hard when what I wanted all along was an egg-over-medium.

By any measure, I am a novice in the kitchen. I make a mess, and I panic, hence my egg failures. But I do try. In fact, I love to try, even with the panicky mess.

Yesterday--Day 1 of Tiffany's infamous weekend chemistry class--I made my first batch of black-eyed peas, cooking them slow so they were ready when Tiffany walked in the door (in fact she could smell them in the hallway!). We had cabbage and cornbread too--the Southerner's start to the New Year. (I started the New Year a bit differently for lunch with a coke, potato chips and french onion dip... hey, when the trainer-girlfriend is away...)

"Mmmm," Tiffany said when she tried my peas, which I'd cooked with bacon. "Did you put onion in this?"

"Yep," I said.

"Was it on the recipe?" she asked.

"Nope," I said.

"Way to go!" she said.

Indeed, it's no small feat for me to venture off the printed page, but I cheated somewhat with the peas. I actually worked from a couple different recipes and then threw in the onions and some tomatoes for good measure because I thought both recipes were wrong to leave them out.

Acting without a thought for the recipes' integrity was a big step for me, but I've still got a long way to go. Friday night we made salmon and had planned to cook it with fresh dill because that's the way Tiffany's mom cooks it. But when I got to the store, they were all out of fresh dill.

"Why didn't you pick up another fresh herb?" Tiffany asked.

Well, as it turns out, that hadn't occurred to me at all. Only "dill" was on my list. "Or another fresh herb" was not.

When we went out to get our new dishes later that night, we realized I'd forgotten the lemon for the salmon, so we stopped at a tiny Asian market to pick one up. I grabbed one--the biggest lemon I'd ever seen. It smelled delicious.

"I wonder where they get their produce?" I said as I climbed into the car.

Later, Tiffany squeezed the lemon onto our fish.

"Wow," she said. "It smells... almost sweet."

We both bit into a piece.

It was a grapefruit.

*"Congratulations, you've just read a U-Pick blog post! If you know me (as most of my readers do), thank you for reading and feel free to suggest something you'd like me to blog about. If you don't know me, thank you for reading of your own free will and not out of a sense of obligation! Even though you're a stranger, feel free to suggest a topic, perhaps something you'd like to hear more about that you've read on my blog before. All suggestions must be made as comments on my blog (not on Facebook for those of you who find my blog via Facebook). I'll pick my favorite suggestion each week and blog on it within a few days."

1 comment:

  1. As much as I admire you, that is one (actually two) ugly egg(s)! Next time I happen by a cooking store, I am going to buy you something to improve your egg cooking technique, assuming that such a thing exists. As to recipes, take it from someone who has cooked for the family for years--almost everything can be improved by the liberal addition of garlic and onion. Glad that you are now trusting yourself to learn that the recipe books don't always get it right and often fail to mention the actual amount of spices needed. They are good for general proportions and cooking temperatures--and that is about it.

    Thanks for including me in your e-mail blog posts.

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete